Many common infections can be treated by your personal physician.
Your doctor might refer you to an ID specialist when
- An infection is difficult to diagnos.
- An infection is accompanied by a high fever.
- Long standing fevers without an obvious focus.
- A patient does not respond to treatment.
- A healthy person plans to travel to a foreign country or a location where infection risk is higher.
- Treating illnesses becomes a part of a patient's overall care, for example, a patient with HIV/AIDS.
- Suspicion of drug resistant tuberculosis .
In all of these cases, the specialized training and diagnostic tools of the ID specialist can help determine the cause of your infection and the best approach to treatment.